The Fortress of Justinian, known simply as Tirana Castle is the only one found in the city centre. The fortress is where at one time the main east–west and north–south roads crossed, forming the heart of the town as it was then. The castle history dates back prior to 1300 AD. The walls are 6 m high and are a remnant from the Byzantine era. It is located near to Parliament and the Academy of Sciences, not far from Skanderbeg Square. The recently exposed wall foundations have been incorporated into the pedestrianized Murat Toptani Street.
TAGS: Justinian Fortress Wall in Tirana, Tirana Castle, Castle in Tirana, Things to do in Tirana